Friday, April 11, 2008

Final Blue 2.0 Activities

Yay! I made it to the final set of Blue 2.0 activities. I'm going to try to finish these in less than a half hour when I get to legitimately go home for the weekend. Luckily, I already have at least three social network accounts so this should be a breeze.

Facebook

Here is my Facebook profile page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=622809383.

Facebook is the social networking site that I currently use the most. I have more friends and contacts there and I just prefer the look of the site. I AM starting to get fed up with all the stupid applications that people want me to add. No, I'm tired of being a zombie and don't feel like screwing around with that any more. I don't want to be a pirate. I don't want to be a ninja. I don't want a garden. Stop asking me already! Well, at least I'm only getting spammed by people I know, unlike some other sites, such as:

MySpace

I think this is my MySpace page, but I'll have to check the link when I get home: http://www.myspace.com/jovialpessimist.

For some reason Lexmark doesn't care if I go to Facebook, but it totally blocks Myspace. Why do they do this? I dunno maybe the same reason they block the comic http://alienlovespredator.com/, but let me view the non-stop sex jokes and scantily clad cartoon ladies at http://www.leasticoulddo.com/. Yeah, basically it's because our IT department has no plan and no idea what it should be doing. Anyway, the look of MySpace profiles are much more original than Facebook's, but that doesn't usually mean they look good. Plus, the barrage of music from everyone's profiles is a little annoying, but it is a good place to keep up with a band and also not a bad place to check out some music.

For my last networking site I'm using LinkedIn. This is my profile there: http://www.linkedin.com/myprofile?trk=hb_side_pro.

I don't really like the site. It's boring, it's a hassle to use effectively, and it seems to be designed strictly to market yourself. I guess that is what it is designed for, but I find that aspect a little repellent. I'm glad all your business buddies think you're great, but why do I care? I suppose it's partly because I am suspicious of self-promotion and don't do much of it myself. It may work really well for those who are self-employed, but I choose not to have that type of job.

Oh well, so there are annoying parts to all of these websites, but there is certainly some value there as well. I do find it unlikely that many kids are going to use these kind of sites to contact and interact with their libraries, but I'm willing to be proven wrong. It is nice to be able to find old classmates and people you worked with without having to do more extensive searching. I've caught up with a few people who I would have totally lost track of without these sites.

Done! Four weeks of activities in less than an hour. Yeeee-haaaaw!

No comments: